<snip>

I've never heard of that (UAIP) before !
now you do :) It's also known as UAUDP.
Do you have anything describing this protocol ?
Have not seen any official documents. There was mention of an Ethereal dissector from Alcatel, but none of my contacts at our local Alcatel vendors could find it on their business partner website. I did some reverse engineering for a project to capture UAIP calls with a 3rd party VoIP voice logger. As far as I know, different generation of phones use a different variant. From my experience - the IP-Touch (8-series) speaks a different dialect(?) from the IP e-Reflexes (4035 and the UAIP softphone).

Would it be difficult to implement it inside Asterisk just like UNISTIM has been ?
Should be possible if we can most of the information. One hurdle would be the provisioning. Seems like the phones have to retrieve their operating parameters from the PBX. I've never seen anyone manually configure one of those phones from the keypad. It's quite unlike Cisco and Nortel.