Hi.

We have lots of long conferences using the meetme application, resulting
in the default recording format (wav) being way too BIG to work with.

I have installed the astersik addon pack, in the hope of getting mp3
recording support. But it only gives mp3 playback support.

How can I get the recordings to be in mp3 format?
Moreover, what other recording formats gives me the benifit of small
size and good sound quality of mp3?

What most people do for this is they execute a shell script afterwards to convert it into the MP3 format. As for another format that will work for you I can't think of any.

You can try to use "lame".  Perhaps set up a cron/shell script that finds and converts new .wav files to mp3.