Dominic Son wrote:
Hi. Can someone explain to a right brained person what is going on with In/out bound trunks, how it connects to my Trixbox..

1. i get issued a free NY phone number from a voip service like stanaphone .
2. i then call this number, it connects to the stanaphone voicemail
3. i turn off the voicemail because i want it to connect to my Askterisk, I've set up all the trunks in the PBX setup, ( sip.stanaphone, etc) 4. now i call my NY number, and it says 'this phone is not in service, please check the number and dial again'

my Q: how does this work, more specifically, if i turned off the VM, how does stanaphone then know to look for my asterisk server to use the trixbox?

--
Anything else, let me know.

Here are some guesses from another relative newbie that has previously hit the problem :-)

Have you set up a SIP trunk and incoming route for your stanaphone number?

I think this is likely related to your freePBX config in that the SIP trunk is not in the right context. If you look in sip.conf you will see:

; If you need to answer unauthenticated calls, you should change this
; next line to 'from-trunk', rather than 'from-sip-external'.
; You'll know this is happening if when you call in you get a message
; saying "The number you have dialed is not in service. Please check the
; number and try again."

You might get more info about setting up things in Trixbox/freePBX on the amportal-users mailing list...

The amportal-users mailing list is at [EMAIL PROTECTED]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/amportal-users

Mike