What do yo mean by "fails"?

If you don't if one party doesn't have the preferred CODEC Asterisk will
fall back to the next preferred CODEC and so on until a match is found.

Can't help you on the licensing thing though. I guess no one wants to
touch it since Digium's stance seems to be that you should have a
license for each seat rather than a pool.

Mark