Technically DTMF should be a signaling thing, but I believe Asterisk must stay in the media stream if you want to use t/T/w/W. This may have changed in 1.4. canreinvite=no in sip.conf would keep Asterisk in the media stream.

Steve Glaus wrote:
Eric "ManxPower" Wieling wrote:
I don't know if this is even possible. I might be totally wrong but once this call is on the cell network, how are you gonna communicate with asterisk?? From what I understand, while the voice (RTP) traffic still travels through asterisk, You have no access to any kind of signalling. Please correct me if I'm way off base here, anyone.

You are offbase. Even with reinvites the SIP SIGNALING will continue going thru Asterisk.
Ok. Thanks! So how does one go about getting asterisk to recognize DTMF in this situation?