I have been seeing this problem for a long time and it occurs in 1.4.0b2 (as well as 1.2.0-1.2.12.1).

If the internet connection is lost and I have SIP services that require me to register, any SIP devices attached to the system stop working.

I have an IAX phone connected to one of my servers that I've been having this problem with which will work fine (and filover to the PSTN) the problem is that SIP handsets and softphones can no longer register or make calls.

Is this normal behaviour or have I got something wrong with each server?