Wow, this is a completely neutral and very valuable review. Thanks a lot Zoa.

I´m an * newbie; my little box will only needs 20 extensions to give termination to remote users and I´m about to buy a PRI interface; I decide to get Sangoma hardware.. a lot of people recommended it to me.

In you review you said: "The biggest choice you need to make is if you want onboard echo cancellation or not". How can I really know if I will need echo cancellation? I´m planning to get a single span card (which doesn´t include echo cancellation) but how can I know if I really need this feature??

Thanks in advance.

R.R. Libera

Zoa escribió:

I think the recent Digium and Sangoma cards are quite similar. (and about the same price) I didn't try sangoma so far, never had any issues with the digium cards, I have no clue how the digium helpdesk is, i never needed to call them. (well not really correct i did call them once, years ago for a firmware problem with their first te410p revision, causing a crash once every few months they had the distributor send me replacement cards right away, before i returned the old ones, so that i could swap them without having to shut down the server for a week).

Configuration and installation for the cards is pretty straightforward, all you need to do is compile the kernel modules for your kernel.

I personally installed at least 20 digium pri cards, all on different hardware without problems related to the digium hardware. (sometimes i did have bad cables, bad pri's, oh and my embedded pc didn't provide enough power for FXO ports).

You will probably find more people on the list with problems with digium than people with problems with sangoma. This might be because a lot more people seem to use the digium cards with asterisk than sangoma cards with asterisk. (Based on the people i speak to, i'd guess 1 to 5% use sangoma?).

The biggest choice you need to make is if you want onboard echo cancellation or not, you might not need it and if you want it its going to cost you a lot more than without. (both for sangoma and digium hardware). - They both seem to use exactly the same Octasic echo cancellation module.

If you need on board echo cancellation but don't need 4 ports, digium is the only choice with their 2 port card with Octasic echo cancellation module. (Afaik sangoma doesn't have such a 2 port board with on board E.C. but i could be wrong.)

Btw, there are more options, dialogic has compatible cards and so does eicon. (you will need deeper pockets though, the eicon retails at +/- 12000 euro for a quad span i think - people who buy these for asterisk usually do so for hardware faxing or interconnection to different carriers at the same time.)

Some people prefer digium over sangoma because they sponsor the asterisk development that way. I'm not one of them, i buy digium cards (or tell my customers to buy them) because i'm happy with their product.

Dislaimer: I know some of the people within Digium quite well, so maybe i get exceptional support or they ship me handpicked gold plated, overclocked versions of their cards (not really since i just buy them from a reseller).

Cheers,

Zoa.

Dovid B wrote:
Can I now 5th it ? All this makes me wonder why Digium dosent work harder. I have mainly only seen others praise Sangoma over Digium.