I also use ldapadmin, but for many common tasks, I use custom command
line scripts that wrap standard ldap commands. I also wrote a couple
simple CGI's that allow users to change their password, select their
preffered shell, update GECOS, and a few other options. If you are
managing Asterisk users in LDAP too, I would imagine that a custom CGI
for managing asterisk specific attributes would be very useful. Yes,
templates within ldapadmin can also work, but sometimes you want
something more appropriate for end-users.