You can run Asterisk 1.2 in sarge using the packages in backports.

Just add:

deb http://www.backports.org/debian/ sarge-backports main contrib non-free

to /etc/apt/sources.list

then apt-get update

and then apt-get -t sarge-backports install asterisk

(you can also pin-priority asterisk's packages, look at APT documentation).

-Alex