At 1:20 PM +0000 11/18/03, Linus Surguy wrote:
> I voulenteer with a local Search And Rescue unit and I was speaking with
the
> senior members about how they interface the command trailer PBX with the
PSTN
> or cellular networks when they are on scene at a remote location. Turns
out
> they don't. Thus that got me to thinking about how one would get
Asterisk to
> interface with a cell phone directly, or what hardware out there works
well
> for the task. I have managed to figure out how to make my Motorola
StarTAC
> make outgoing voice calls for instance and making an interface for this
phone
> should be quite possible, but it would be nice to have incoming phone
calls
> too. I know there are many companies out there which make such producs,
and
> that a Google search can yield many results, I want thoughts and
opinions,
> stuff which Google suks at.

 Some of the older cell phones use to expose either a 2-wire or 4-wire
 interface via a connector on the phone (don't know about transmission

I won't bother with any of that - purchase a Nokia Premicell (or other manufacturers similar item). This device takes a normal GSM SIM card and then presents a normal PSTN line interface - plug that into your normal Asterisk PSTN line card - job done.

Linus

I don't have time to go digging for the link, but there is at least one vendor who offers a hardware solution with 24 DS0 GSM cards in a channel bank, which you'd then connect to a T100P card. In other words, it's 24 lines of cell phones in a 2u package, with minimal wiring hassle. Google should show you the way...

JT