James,

 Thanks a lot for sharing the result of those debugging hours ! :-)

 I'm now left with two choices to begin with:

 1. Replacing the "." with a "-" within the dialplan

 2. Replacing the "Ubuntu Server" packaged sox version (12.17.9)
     with the most recent (12.18.2) which no longer seems to
     suffer from that sillyness...

 (yes, I did a quick new sox download/compile/test in a separate system
  and "soxmix file1.this.ext file2.that.ext mix.good.ext" started working
  with the new version !)

 Kind Regards,
--
 Ex Vito