Quoting Mark Coccimiglio <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

Mark,

Do these 1600 series Cisco routers you mention that you find on eBay for $50-$150 support Layer3 routing? I have a managed switch setup on my home network with several VLANs defined. (work subnet, home subnet, VOIP subnet) I currently have to use a Linux box to route between the VLANs. I'd like to move to Gigabit routing, but I'd need to replace the Linux box(more processor power and new NICs) and that gets expensive.

I'd much rather have a router or smart switch for that matter that does Gigabit Layer3 routing all in one unit.
Do you have any recommendations....that wouldn't break the bank?

Do you actually know how utilized the linux box is now ? its probably near zero
and all you need is a couple cards. Routing even with complex rules takes very
little cpu.

Thanks,
Ed

Ed,
Layer3 routing is a fundamental function of a router which is supported by the Cisco 1600 series (1605R specifically) router. However VLAN definitations are not supported in the 1600 series. You would need to moveup to the 1700 or 2500 series for that function. As for Gigabit support the 1600 and 1700 series do not support that high speed interface. These router are designed around WAN style routing operating at ~1.5Mbps. Gigabit routing is a rather cutting edge capablity that is only seen in newer hardware. I would checkout a Cisco Catalyst 3500 series for something like that. Be carefull and look closely some systems only support 2 ports on 1000baseT and the rest are 100BaseT.

    Good luck and happy hunting,

Mark Coccimiglio

Jon Pounder

  _/_/_/  _/    _/  _/       _/_/_/  _/    _/  _/_/_/_/

Inline Internet Systems Inc.
Thorold, Ontario, Canada

Tools to Power Your e-Business Solutions
www.inline.net
www.ihtml.com
www.ihtmlmerchant.com
www.opayc.com