Yuan LIU wrote:

A little googling made me realize that Asterisk demo may not be the best application to look for caller ID because it tries to pick up at first ring. So I zapped demo context with a plain one. This time, no more failed success. But Asterisk only receives
  "New User",""
no matter which caller calls. (Callers can be correctly identified from other devices.)

You need to know when does your carrier send caller ID, some carriers send between 1st and 2nd ring, others after 2nd ring. Try a Wait(1) before Answer to give asterisk a little more time to pick up the callerid.

Leo