On Wed, 7 Feb 2007, Mark Coccimiglio wrote:

Ok here is a real geek question,

I building my own linux kernel for my asterisk system and came across the kernel setting for the timer frequency. I have one of 3 hardcode choices 100Hz, 250 Hz and 1000Hz. From what I understand the default Freq was changed from 100Hz in kernel 2.4 to 1000Hz (1KHz) in kernel 2.6. Timing is a BIG issue in asterisk with all the TDM and zap channel stuff. My guess is to go with the lower 100 or 250 Hz option but that is only a guess. The 1KHz sounds like it will conflict with the Zap 1khz timer (or am I wrong about that). Does anyone know what the prefered settings are for Trixbox or AsteriskNOW (or the asterisk code forks e.g. OpenPBX)? Please let me know what your experience has been.

I always compile custom kernels and have been using 1KHz in all my systems which are for anything vaguely interactive.

Most of my asterisk systems are 1GHz processors but I have a small handful which are 533MHz and all are working just fine.

You're not using a recently kernel then ;-) 2.6.20 offers 300Hz too (supposedly good for video applications)

Gordon