Peter Gradwell wrote:

mmm, but as you've seen, some customers like using multiple codecs. The cisco kit is able to support a raft of options - and it does transcoding very nicely - so the optimum solution is to have the cisco + customer's asterisk agree on the same codec, and then have our asterisk server (in the middle) do as little as possible.

As an example, I'm one such customer who likes to send voice calls to them as G.729 and fax calls as G.711a.

IIRC a standard has been defined for end-to-end codec renegotiation, but this hasn't been implemented into asterisk (opr probably anything else) yet.