I discussed this with Digium techs, who recommended using the 1.4 version of
   Zaptel with the 1.2 version of Asterisk, at least with my hardware

   Hi Brent,

   It   seems like zaptel 1.2.15 and asterisk .16 are working now,
thanks to a quick hint from Tzafrir about changing a Makefile.
Commenting out codec_zap in the codecs makefile allowed me to make and
install asterisk. There was a small change in the behavior of
Voicemail and it requires an explicit context which it apparently
didn't before.

The only problems I have now will be looking at RxFax to see if I
want to try a later version and finding out whether g729 module is
still good.

And perhaps a few unknown gotchas I'll find out about while testing.