Am Freitag, den 23.03.2007, 17:09 +0800 schrieb Christopher Chan:
> Anselm Martin Hoffmeister wrote:
> > Am Donnerstag, den 22.03.2007, 22:17 -0700 schrieb shadowym:
> > Let us see the facts: Telephone systems with more than a handful
> > telephones and more than just the ability to call (be it voicemail,
> > conferencing, queues, agents...) are complicated, and in most cases need
> > to be tailored to the customers' needs. As long as the "customer" is not
> > an IT-ish company, they will hopefully understand that getting all the
> > knowledge about this internally costs work hours (and thus, money) the
> > same - and experience is something that can not be learned in a few
> > hours of document study and point-and-clicking. High-quality solutions
> > need professional hands, pals, possibly yours.
> >
> > This will by no means be the death of the technical consulting around
> > telephone PABXs.
>
> Er...is not this what asterisk is about? telephone PABX guys sniff at
> computer guys moving in their space.

But still, the need for experts is there; a PABX (be it from Nortel,
Avaya or an Asterisk-based one) is not a teaspoon but a Swiss army
knife.

Go and ask Mr. Joe Average what all those tools on a proper Swiss army
knife are for. If he manages to get all the blades and tools out at
all ;-)

I do not see reason to worry about a decrementing need for engineer-type
people who know their job and their toolbox, that was what I wanted to
express. Campains for better, more widespread personal computing have
not removed the need for operational knowledge or "the neighbour" for
fixing a broken .DLL; customers may have hoped so for decades.

Once again, let Microsoft's marketing soap bubbles burst and see if
anything else comes out than wet air.

Regards
Anselm