Remco Post wrote:
Michael Collins wrote:
Just curious: has anyone seen or heard about a USB-based T1/E1 interface
device?  I’ve seen some serious T1/E1 testing equipment that is
USB-based, but I was wondering if there was something more generic, like
a Zaptel-ish T1/E1 that used USB instead of PCI/PCIx.

Why? There used to be a saying 'usb is for mice, firewire is for men',
though USB has grown a bit in bandwidth since then, it is still not very
well suited for a high sustained bandwidth. NOw T1/E1 is not that big, I
suspect a lack of demand. Havng a E1 termintae in your laptop is quite
useless, and a server usually has plenty of slots (if not, buy a bigger
server ;-).

Maybe he is looking at making his own very portable testing equipment? An idea I entertained myself. A T-Bird is pretty expensive. An OpenSource T1 tester would probably sell pretty well, or at least generate alot of interest.

I have seen PCMCIA to PCI adapters but they were quite expensive at the time (~$500). Maybe a shuttle or similar matx case with an LCD would work well.

Thanks,
Steve Totaro
www.asteriskhelpdesk.com