On Fri, 4 May 2007, mail-lists wrote:

Stefan Wintermeyer wrote:
Steve,

Am 04.05.2007 um 14:44 schrieb mail-lists:
I'm trying to compile asterisk from source (1.2.18). Faxing is fairly critical for us, so in the past we've used spandsps app_rxfax and app_txfax to support faxing in asterisk. Unfortunately I can't find these applications on soft-switch.org anymore

Forget them! Use Hylafax and iaxmodem instead.

Does anyone know how to best handle faxing in 1.2.18? Is it even necessary to compile these two apps into asterisk? what about spandsp?

Any advice would be appreciated,

I only have a German howto available. But you should get the idea:
http://www.das-asterisk-buch.de/stable/installation-iaxmodem.html
http://www.das-asterisk-buch.de/stable/installation-hylafax.html

  Stefan

--
Stefan,

My name is spelled Stefan too :)

I AM using hylafax/iaxmodem on my production boxes. I guess I'm not entirely clear on WHAT app_rxfax, app_txfax do.

Are iaxmodem/hylafax essentially a replacement for these asterisk internal applications?

I've used rx_fax (never tx_fax though, but I don't imagine an issue with it)

So, as I see it: You answer an incoming channel, and plumb it directly into rx_fax. rx_fax is a combined software modem and fax receptor. It spits out a TIF file. I've used this on Zap channels with a good degree of success.

iaxmodem is a softare modem. It's a program which takes an IAX channel and gives you a serial-line like interface. You can send AT commands to it and get/send digital data directly. This is what people connect HylaFax to. HylaFax is a suit pf programs that have been about for donkeys years - originally designed to talk to real modems (I used hylafax with a USR modem many years ago and remember it being a PITA to setup which is why I've never bothered to look at it - however that might have changed recently...?)

So if you have a lot of experience with HylaFax, then the suggestion may be to get iaxmodem and carry on with HylaFax, else consider rx_fax/tx_fax.

The downside of rx_fax is that you need to compile it into asterisk.

The downside of iaxmodem is that (to my knowledge) you can't easilly implement an auto-answer/detect fax/voice/ auto attendant/voicemail system. The channel must be dedicated to faxing, and that's that. This may or may not be an issue for you though.

The last fax setup I did was for a small 2-person office where they had an existing fax machine that answered, listened for the remote fax squawk, if it didn't get it, then it rung the phones daisy-chained to it, and if they didn't answer it went to answering machine. I implemented this in asterisk fairly easilly with rx_fax. I'm not sure if you can do that with iaxmodem.

An upside of iaxmodem is that you can run it on a seprate server. You then rely on an IP connection between the asterisk box and the fax box... And we know how fussy modem signals can be over IP links.. On a LAN it ought to be OK though.

If I'm missing something obvious (or my knowledge is out of date!) someone can correct me please.

Cheers,

Gordon