ranga wrote:

I agree with you. But the issue is, how could I fix the domain name
variable? This should not be static. The target domain changes as per the
choice of the user that is connected through softphone. For example, you are
connected to edvina.net. Now I want to call you from my softphone. I have a
SIP account [EMAIL PROTECTED] This demands me to add your domain in the
configuration of  myprovider.com. This server might have a many users and
everybody needs a service extended to the other users connected to other
domains that are running non-asterisk servers. So, everytime a new domain is
requested for dial, the asterisk admin need to add that domain explicitly.
This makes his job tedius.

So, I thought setting DOMAIN variable to the target domain in chan_sip.c
would help. Not sure of complications.
To call me you don't have to define "edvina.net" in the asterisk server.
Dial(SIP/[EMAIL PROTECTED])
works all right.
The problem to fix is when a client, like x-lite, dials "sip:[EMAIL PROTECTED]".
Asterisk treats this incoming SIP call as a call to "oej"
check the SIPDOMAIN variable to get the "edvina.net" part and put
them back together again.
DIAL(SIP/[EMAIL PROTECTED]) should fix it. Just watch out to check
if SIPDOMAIN is the realm of your Asterisk server before dialing out.

I checked it out on 26th of Nov. Any updates in this couple of days towards this?

If I misunderstood you, please explain a bit more so we can help you.

Its like this: I saw domain dialing in SIP working. When we dial SIP ID from
softphone, asterisk considers the part before '@' as extension. So, we will
need to specifically mention the domain in the call to Dial application.
This is what I wanted to avoid. I would like to pick it from the INVITE
request.
That is how it works today.

In this case, I can have a standard way of representing the other domain
IDs. For example if I want to call you through my asterisk box, I wil call
you as
<sip:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>. This way I will not need to mention your domain
name explicitly in the extensions.conf.
I dial domains from X-lite connected to my ASterisk and it works. If I just
enter "10122", X-lite adds the default SIP realm and the server recognizes
this as a local extension by checking SIPDOMAIN. If it's not the local
SIP realm (like "sip:[EMAIL PROTECTED]", I add the SIPDOMAIN (as above)
and it dials out by checking  DNS SRV records.

I'll add an example to the Wiki later.

/Olle