Anthony Francis wrote:
Eugen Rogoza wrote:
Hello,

I'm trying to match a number in international format, like +49XXXX...

The regexp string "^\+49" doesn't work. Both in $["+49..." : "^\+49"]
and ${REGEX("^\+49" ${NUMBER})}.

The error is:  WARNING[12486]: func_strings.c:138 regex: Malformed input
REGEX(): Invalid preceding regular expression.

The regexp expression "^49\+" works. Does Asterisk have problems
matching the plus at the beginning of the string, or am I escaping
something incorrectly?

Eugene

That's because you don't dial a + you dial 011 here in America, the + is meta for insert you international dialing prefix here.

That doesn't much explain why the regexp doesn't work. If you're dialing from a softphone, for instance, and dial a +, it comes through as a +. It's up for the server to decide what to do with it. If you can't match it and therefore convert it to the appropriate international dialing prefix, that's a problem.

Think globally. :) Not everyone wants to require their customers to all dial 011, or 00, or 001, or any number of alternate international prefixes.