Quoting Linux Lover <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> John, thank you very much. Indeed, this is the
> direction I was thinking of taking. I just needed a
> "quick & dirty" solution for the short term - I didn't
> realize that Asterisk is so complex.
>
> In fact, I am not sure I completely understand it:
> Will using Asterisk force me to use an external VoIP
> service? Or can I remain completely POTS based?
>
> (At the volume of phone calls that I am making, I
> found out that using an ordinary phone line is way
> cheaper than any VoIP service available to me right
> now - definitely cheaper tha Vonage et al.)

there are plenty of supercheap voip services (far cheaper than a
business line), but asterisk allows you to mix and match whatever you
want from analog lines to digital lines to voip services, with
softphones, voip phones, traditionalphones etc., in whatever
combination you want.

you just configure the appropriate channels for whatever you connect to it.

> Thanks,
> Lynn
>

> --- John Novack <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

>> Linux Lover wrote:
>> > But one thing that I forgot to mention is that my
>> > business is only in its beginning stage and I need
>> > be as thrifty as possible. While $216 is a
>> reasonable
>> > price, I was wondering whether my (currently very
>> > modest) goal can be achieved by spending much less
>> > (under $100). For example, what if I buy one of
>> those
>> > el-cheapo PBX boxes and connect it to an Asterisk
>> > server?
>> >
>> Buy this, or another proven  SOHO solution and
>> forget, for the moment,
>> Asterisk
>> IF you really are starting out fresh, begin the
>> business and learn
>> Asterisk in your ( ha! ) spare time, then when you
>> are ready you will be
>> able to migrate without having your customers suffer
>> through your
>> learning curve.
>> You DO want your business to succeed, don't you?
>> You DON'T want your customers to have a bad first
>> impression of you
>> because of some small problem with Asterisk.
>>
>> Look at other hardware Asterisk solutions as well.
>> The X100 can be more
>> trouble than it is worth, the TDM400 CAN have issues
>> with some
>> motherboards that you will not discover until the
>> driver can't find the
>> board, and the standard support answer is "try
>> another motherboard"
>>
>> Sangoma makes some nice FXO/FXS PCI cards as well
>> with a 5 year warranty.
>>
>> John Novack
>>
>> --
>> Dog is my co-pilot

Jon Pounder

    _/_/_/  _/    _/  _/       _/_/_/  _/    _/  _/_/_/_/

Inline Internet Systems Inc.
Thorold, Ontario, Canada

Tools to Power Your e-Business Solutions
www.inline.net
www.ihtml.com
www.ihtmlmerchant.com
www.opayc.com