Anselm Martin Hoffmeister wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, den 06.09.2007, 02:07 -0600 schrieb Al lists:
>
>> Hi list,
>> I'm trying to get some ideas on this subject.
>> Normally astersik sends emails with voicemail attached trough local
>> MTA.
>> As far as i know there is no way for asterisk to authenticate to an
>> external mailserver to relay these emails.
>> Well, these days every provider has some sort of spam blocking, to add
>> to that usually users of asterisk are behid a dynamic IP with no PTR
>> and list grows depending on what target mail server requirements are.
>> Base on these facts i came to conclusion of setting up local MTA to
>> relay emails trough another mail server (another mail server beeing
>> their ISP mail server), i dont have very good results with
>> sendmail/procmail and SASL, its inconsitance, works with some provider
>> not all...
>> I was wonderin what do you guys use for your asterisk boxes?
>>

> I have good experience with exim4, the default config needs some
> tweaking (at least under Debian) for SSL and AUTH stuff, but that is
> fairly documented and not difficult to setup. I only have one "upstream"
> provider, a so-called smarthost, so I need not fear it will break with
> any other mail host. YMMV.
>
> Of course running exim4 only for mail-forwarding is a bit like hunting
> sparrows with cannons (or whatever the equivalent english phrase is :-)
> but then, it gets the job done, and without any mail in the queue its
> memory footprint and cpu usage are neglible.
>
> BR
> Anselm

I use http://www.dnsexit.com/Direct.sv?cmd=mailRelay to get around port
25 blockage at home and also avoid going into the spam blackhole.  It
has an option for no authentication if coming from a defined IP
address.  That gets around setting up any kind of smarthost authentication.

Just make sure your box is not an open relay.

Thanks,
Steve Totaro