Do you have canreinvite=no in the sip client configuration? If not then the two sip phones are probably issuing a reinvite command and taking asterisk out of the call path. If that happens and the phones can't reach consensus on a codec then you run into audio problems. If you're not a provider and just using asterisk as a PBX then it's probably better to set the phones up with a matching codec set and allow them to establish a direct connection between each other to keep load off the Asterisk server. Otherwise set canreinvite=no and Asterisk should transcode correctly.

Good luck,
-Brent

Gonzalo Servat wrote:
Hi All,

I have 2 SIP clients configured and connected to Asterisk. When I place a call from SIP1 to SIP2, if both codecs are the same then everything works as expected. I then allowed one of the clients to use alaw instead of ulaw and there were audio problems (couldn't hear the other end, etc). Same thing happened when I tried to use gsm<->alaw/ulaw.

Any ideas? I'm using 1.6.0-beta4.

Thanks!
Gonzalo