All too common and largely undocumented. I had this same problem.

Installing ztdummy changes Asterisk to use it for timing of playback,
apparently. Removing ztdummy "fixed" the problem. To get it all to
work, I had to upgrade to to at least kernel 2.6.23.11 (previous
versions are either missing options are just broken.)

Which previous versions have you tried?

I'll also note that the OP needs to get Zaptel working under Xen, which
is probably a different issue than your own.

I've tried 2.6.8, 2.6.18-5, 2.6.19, 2.6.21.3 and perhaps more. These are the only ones I recall.

I tuned in late and didn't see they wanted Xen support, but I figure others may find it helpful via google.

Norman Franke
Answering Service for Directors, Inc.
www.myasd.com