Tilghman Lesher wrote:
On Wednesday 24 December 2003 13:06, Brian Buhrow wrote:

        Hello.  I'm a new Asterisk user, but I'm impressed with the
flexibility and versatility of Asterisk, and am moving quickly to
adopt it's main-line use in our company.  Hopefully, you'll be
hearing more from me as the project moves forward.
        Right now, though, I have a question about SIP peer registration.
Right now, for our SIP-based phone,s, we're using the Sip Express
Router product, which accepts sip registration requests and lets us
route calls to any of the phones which register with SER.  I am a
semi-nomatic user, and can work at any of three different
locations.  Right now, my phones all sign up with SER, and register
with the same telephone number.  When someone dials that number,
all three phones ring, and which ever one gets answered first, gets
the call.
        When I tried to do this with Asterisk, sources from the cvs
repository as of 12/18/2003, sip show peers only showed the most
recent registration. This lead me to believe that if I dialed the
number, only the most recently registered phone would ring.  I was
able to work around the problem by defining an umbrella extension
which rings all three phones at the same time, but I'd like to have
a way of dynamically adding phones to a given extension without
having to necessarily rewrite the extensions.conf file, and I'd
like calls from these extensions to show up from the master
extension that folks should use to reach me.  I imagine I could do
something with pickup groups, but my understanding  is that it is
not true that all phones in a pickup group will necessarily ring
just because they're a member of a given pickup group.  The phones
on this particular extension are many miles from each other, so one
couldn't hear the other phone ring.
        Another work around is to put
Asterisk behind SER, but this seems overly complicated, and I want
to make sure that Asterisk doesn't do what I want before I pursue
that path.

Any suggestions on how to have multiple phones register with the
same number in Asterisk?

In sip.conf:

[phone1]
type=peer
host=dynamic

[phone2]
type=peer
host=dynamic

[phone3]
type=peer
host=dynamic

in extensions.conf:

[default]
exten => 0,1,Dial(SIP/phone1&SIP/phone2&SIP/phone3,30,T)

To explain further:
Asterisk can only handle one client per peer definition in sip.conf. Multiple
registrations per
peer is not supported. Yet ;-)

SER support multiple destinations (a "destination set") per peer. SER is a SIP proxy,
Asterisk
is a PBX where a USER may have multiple extensions. Each extension - peer/client -
have only
one phone and the PBX dial plan takes care of dialling multiple destinations to reach
a user,
or a queue or .... anything's possible!

/Olle