On Mon, 4 Aug 2008, Stefan Gofferje wrote:

> Gordon Henderson schrieb:
>> On Mon, 4 Aug 2008, Patrick wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Stefan,

>>> I looked into this for my N95 but if it's possible then it isn't
>>> documented. At least I could not find any public documentation how to do
>>> it. I did not dig into the Symbian developer docs. Maybe those contain
>>> the answer.
>>
>> Similarly for my E90. There's nothing obvious in it that'll make it
>> auto-answer.
>
> I was hoping that Nokia was sloppy and tried sending SIP INVITES with
> PoC headers but the phone was ignoring them or answering with a
> "unsupported media type" or similar.
>
> Unfortunately, I also wasn't able to register the PoC application with
> my asterisk.
> Anybody knows if somebody works on an PoC / push to talk over cellular
> implementation for *? I studied the 3GPP / Nokia drafts about 2 or 3
> years ago. It doesn't look too complicated but I'm not exactly a gifted
> programmer :).

So I'll throw the cat amongst the pigeons by saying: Who cares about PTT?

Seriously - Push to talk - Half duplex Communications. How ancient is
that! It's really reminiscent of ancient US style truckers - Smokey and
the Bandit and all that. That's just so last century. Lets put all that
behind us and get with the 21st century! We all have hands-free, full
duplex communications now, so lets just forget all that old rubbish and
get on with the programe.

I think a provider tried it over here for a while - Orange IIRC, but they
charged an arm and a leg for it, so no-one used it. Everyone I talked to
about it just laughed. If I want to talk to someone with my mobile while
working, I use a bluetooth headset. I touch my "borg implant", say "HOME"
into it and it dials home... I'm not going to hold an E90 to my ear, push
a button, say "Hello? Can you hear me? Kchchchct" let the button go then
wait for a reply.

I wish the mobile manufacturers would put as much effort into creating a
DECT interface in their handsets as waste silicon space & time on PTT
garbage.

If I really want PTT, then I'll go out & buy a pair of Motorola handsets.

Next thing you'll be asking for is flip phones with a little stubby
antennae on top.... Thankfully they went out of fashion in the UK about 5
years back.

Gordon
Over, Roger, Wilco and Out.