Hi,

Just to review the test I did:

-----------    SIP extension    ------------------     Trunk
-----------------
| SIPp  |<----------------------->| Asterisk 1  |<---------------->|
Asterisk 2 |
-----------                            -------------------
       ------------------

Both Asterisk boxes are virtual machines in VirtualBox and version
1.4.21.2. I generated calls using SIPp, and I monitored the cpu
utilization in the Asterisk 1 with top. I compare the cpu utilization
when I used IAX and when I used SIP as Trunk protocol. The following
are the results (averages) I got with ulaw codecs in both sides:

Calls   IAX     SIP
4       6,0     1,8
10      9,2     4,6
20      19,5    8,6
30      28,2    13,5
34      36,9    16,2
40      38,2    19,5
50      36,9    24,3

As you can see, IAX almost doubles the cpu cycles. I repeated the test
using gsm as the trunk codec, and in this scenario IAX shows a better
performance (Sip extension continues with ulaw):

IAX     SIP
1,8     25,7
12,8    41,5
29,2    47,0
45,7    69,4
54,2    78,5
53,3    83,3
65,7    87,1

And finally I repeated with iLBC in the trunk, and SIP won again:

IAX     SIP
8,5     9,4
29,3    14,5
57,6    23,6
74,4    37,3
84,3    41,5
--      51,2
--      67,0

Does this makes sense? Any feedback? Has anybody done similar test for
comparison?