[snip]

> To make myself clear, here is what I'm trying to do : when Alice is calling
> Bob (Alice -------> Asterisk------->Bob), I would like Bob's phone to
> display Alice's name  (no problem, for that) but I would also like Alice's
> phone screen to display Bob's name (instead of Bob's number)

mmm ... this wasn't clear on your OP ...
so you need to show the CALLED name on the CALLER phone ...

> My SIP hardphone is capable of displaying P-Asserted-Identity in outbound
> calls (not just inbound) but I
> couldn't find any way to teach Asterisk to fill this P-Asserted-Identity
> header :

you can try with: (*** untested ***)

exten => _123X, 1, SIPAddHeader(P-Asserted-Identity:
'${CALLERID(name)' <${CALLERID(num)>)

cheers

Daniele Santi       .o.
[EMAIL PROTECTED] ..o () ascii ribbon campaign
Linux User #415108  ooo /\  www.asciiribbon.org