Brendan Martens wrote:
On Oct 6, 2008, at 3:52 PM, Gordon Henderson wrote:

The answer you are looking for is that you should be using a supported, stable version, and right now, 1.4 is the only one that fits. If I were
starting today, I'd go with 1.4.

1.6.0 has just been released.
Personally I'd start with that because then you don't stuck with generation old features, and as you are just starting you aren't locked into any feature sets or syntax issues, etc.

Of course as it has just been released there are undoubtedly some bugs yet to be discovered, 1.4 has been around a while and will probably be easier to find support/documentation for.

Quote "are undoubtedly some bugs  yet to be discovered"

Good laugh, look at the BUG reporting site.
1.4 had how many HUNDREDS of bugs reported ?
How many more continue to flow in ?

and  you think someone should go to 1.6 ?

May want to reconsider that.