I believe that the newer versions of the EPIA platform (those with the
"Nehemiah" version of the core) are actually i686 compliant.  There is
an article about EPIA & Linux at www.mini-itx.com that covers the
specifics of dealing with the older boards, including a review of
distros that are known to have issues.

I played with an older EPIA (the 900 MHz i586 version) and found it to
be weak in the VoIP department (given to hiccups, etc.) and effectively
useless with the X100P since it only has one attached PCI slot (although
it can be expanded to two using a riser card and some jumpers).

If you do go with a Mini ITX, I would highly recommend using the newer 1
GHz+ Nehemiah boards.

Just my .02

Steve