On Thu, Nov 06, 2008 at 04:43:07PM -0700, Wilton Helm wrote:
> >The linksys phones annoy me because they cannot implement southern
> >hemisphere DST properly.
>
> I was shocked the first time I had to write firmware for an
> international project.  Not only is there the southern hemisphere
> issue of opposite seasons, but just about anyone in the world with
> a legislative body has to prove their independence from everyone
> else by defining the dates a bit differently (not to mention time
> zones that differ by 15 or 30 minutes).  Then the US came along and
> changed their rules after a million products already had them hard
> coded in silicon!  It's a mess.
>
> I just wish we'd all forget about it entirely.  Its a way to force
> people who don't like to get up early to do so anyway.  A number of
> studies have been done on the increase in accidents and reduced
> worker productivity for a week or two after a change.  The recent US
> change was supposed to save energy, but I suspect if one did a study,
> they would find that businesses just extended their hours to
> accommodate a diversity of people, thus increasing their energy
> consumption!

UNIX system supported different timezones with an arbitrary definition
ages ago. The timezone only tells the system with what offset to show
the time when asked for "local time".

Sadly some operating systems have this strange concept that changing a
time zone means changing the system clock itself. This makes it a huge
change indeed.

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755              jabber:[EMAIL PROTECTED]