> Andrew Kohlsmith wrote:
>>>I would set the "Enterprise Class" bar at five 9's reliability
>>>(about 5.25 minutes per year of down time) the same
>>>as a Class 4/5 phone switch. This would require redundant
>>>design considerations in both hardware and software.
>>

> To turn around, let's discuss what we need to focus on to get
> Asterisk there:
>
> Here's a few bullet points, there's certainly a lot more
> * Linux platform stability - how?

Even more than Linux itself is the x86 platform... I've thought about this
a bit when considering * boxes for big customers.  When one actually comes
along, I'll have to actually make a decision :-).
>From where I stand, the best thing to do for smaller customers is give
them a box with RAID and redundant power supplies, if they can afford it.
But if I were to have a big customer with deep pockets, I'd really like *
on a big Sun beast with redundant-everything (i.e. you can hot swap any
component and there's usually n+1 of everything).  The problem is that I
don't think there's any Solaris support for Digium cards, since it's kind
of  a chicken-and-egg problem.
One of these days, I may convince myself to buy a modern Sun box (maybe
the ~$1000 Blade 100s) and see what can be done.  The only problem I could
conceive would be endian-ness, but I read about Digium cards in a PowerPC
box, so that won't be a problem, right?
Nick