On Wednesday 07 January 2004 10:53, Steven Critchfield wrote:
> Interestingly enough, when I nmap my primary 2 asterisk boxes I
> don't even see the IAX ports. Need to think about getting nmap
> patched for the VoIP ports.

Note that IAX and IAX2 are both UDP.

> Anyways, I only have ssh, smtp(outgoing
> only), auth, and postgres showing up.

Note that these are all TCP.

nmap can't reliably detect UDP ports, unless a service returns a
packet.  Remember, UDP is a connectionless protocol.  Given that the
probes to IAX and IAX2 were probably malformed for those protocols
(unless nmap has been made IAX-aware), I doubt you'll get any
response, ever (and therefore, never detected by nmap).

-Tilghman