--On Thursday, January 8, 2004 11:25 am +0100 "Olle E. Johansson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Well, mailing list growth is not only a good thing. It's getting almost
impossible to handle. As I've stated before, we need to change
Asterisk.org so we can help people in a better way and avoid a lot of the
repeating questions on the mailing list.

There's a lot of people unsubscribing, just because of the amount of
messages.

Asterisk.org needs an FAQ, more documentation on line and ...

I think people tend to migrate to the list that seems the most active and post any question to it - on the basis that it has the greatest number of eyeballs hovering over it hence increasing the probability of a rapid response. Not much you can do about that. Asterisk, or more correctly, Digium has hardware as well as software components. So the list has a mix of hardware support issues as well as software support issues - I think that adds a lot to the volume.

For me, the wiki has proved to be invaluable as I've experimented with AGI and the manager interface (I must add some comments to it on this .....). However, it really does need to be complemented by better documentation so that it's easier to understand exactly how some of the advanced features are used. My usual error is to misunderstand how some feature of * responds because the documentation is ambiguous ... then I plunge into the code and waste a lot of time figuring out what is actually happening.

From wet and windy Southern England,

Iain