> Perhaps there isn't a downturn in a country with more sheep than people

That's a little harsh, New Zealand is one of those places that really appeals
as a decent place to live.

> This could easily turn into a decade long period, with few having any real
> answers.

I think that's somewhat alarmist. Even the most pessimistic assessments over
here in the UK seem to indicate around 18 months or so before things start to
improve.

At the end of the day, we got ourselves into this mess (cheap credit, lenders
not checking people could actually repay their debts, etc.), we have no-one to
blame but ourselves.

As others have said, there are opportunities in the the current financial
climate that wouldn't otherwise be available.

Regards,

Chris