From: asterisk-users-boun...@lists.digium.com
[mailto:asterisk-users-boun...@lists.digium.com] On Behalf Of John Novack
Sent: Tuesday, May 26, 2009 9:26 AM
To: bald...@rogg.is; Asterisk Users Mailing List - Non-Commercial Discussion
Subject: Re: [asterisk-users] Maximum cable length for analog phone from FXS
port

That is a pretty long run.
The type of analog phone can be an issue. How LITTLE loop current will it
operate on? Most need more than 20 Ma to signal properly, and the voltage
output of the ATA needs to be known
Type of signaling? DTMF? pulse?
Interconnection cable wire size and capacitance will affect high frequency
response, loop current, inductive pickup and pulse shaping to name just a
few. The ATA requirements need to be known. A total loop resistance of 500
ohms should work, but go out to 1200 and most will fail
Do you really have control over this or will you be renting a pair from the
local telco?
Protection should be applied on both ends for safety of the user(s) and
devices.
There MUST be a better way???

asterisk-us...@rogg.is wrote:

Hello.

I am looking for details of the maximum allowed/usable/effective wire/cable
length of the connection from a FXS port of Digium analog cards to the
analog telephone handset.

To clarify my intention, I need to have an analog telephone connection to my
asterisk box that is 3000 meters (3km) away at least. If you have any
details of ATA boxes or other similar devices that I could use to do this,
I'd appreciate your input. It must be able to use a regular analog telephone
handset on the far end.

I've searched high and low and either I'm not clever enough in using the
right terms for this or it is rarely documented?

Any details much appreciated.

Thank you!

Baldvin

  _____