On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 11:24:40PM -0500, Karl Fife wrote:
> After a kernel update (but before rebooting) Is there a way to recompile
> Zap/Dahdi against the new kernel?
>
> My objective is to eliminate the additional downtime that occurs while
> recompiling/installing zap/dahdi after booting into the new kernel.
>
> Please correct me if I'm wrong:
> My understanding is that until you reboot (after a kernel update),
> recompiling zap/dahdi still compiles against the OLD kernel, and that's why
> zap/dahdi doesn't start after rebooting into the new kernel (even if you
> recompiled it just before rebooting).
>
> So my question is:
> Is there a method to recompile dahdi/zap against the new kernel such that the
> only downtime is the actual server bounce itself?  OR is the current best
> practice just to simply to reboot, recompile, restart?

without trying to start a distro war under debian you can do

m-a -t build -l <kernel version> dahdi

aslong as you have the headers installed it will build a module against
it.

I think if you use the tgz tar ball you can actually specify KDIR to
point to the directory with the headers in it.

> Thanks in advance.
>
> -Karl

"I also understand how tender the free enterprise system can be."

        - George W. Bush
07/08/2002
White House press conference, Washington, D.C.