On Sep 2, 2009, at 3:35 PM, John A. Sullivan III wrote:
Absolutely.  It doesn't sound like you need much firepower.  You may
even be able to carve off a virtual server for it. We don't do that in
order to minimize latency but I'm sure lots of folks swear by such a
setup.  You will have the typical maintenance - updates, security
patches, any client side changes.

I would imagine your biggest challenge will be getting people into the
system.  If they are all internal (I was originally assuming they were
not), they can all use soft phones and head sets.  Since it is a
monologue, you may even be able to dispense with the headsets. If folks are calling in from outside your network, it gets a little trickier. If
they all have Internet connections, they can establish direct SIP
connections to your PBX. If they are coming in from the PSTN, you will need phone lines. You could talk to a VoIP carrier and see if they can replace your PSTN access and then you would have the best of all worlds.
Hope this helps - John

I'm sure I will encounter it in the book, but I'm looking to understand what actually needs to occur.

Basically their scenario is a small auditorium that is already connected to the existing phone line so that ones may listen in over the 3-way to 3-way to 3-way (ad infinitum) chain. They have a *very* simple setup. There is no internet or internal network.

That said, is there any way technologically to branch/bridge a normal phone line using Asterisk (or anything else), or must I have some other number/service coming in?

Also, I believe there was a bit of confusion with an earlier post. Although they wish to *host* the entire setup in-house, they will have external callers.

I'm certainly not opposed to the various proposed solutions, but given the nature of the project you can understand that I don't want to spend resources on items they don't absolutely need.

Best,

Michael