At work, we just put in managed switches... one user had lots of collisions, which is strange for a switched network... we set the computer to full/100, and the switch to the same settings, and now it doesnt have any more collisions...

DH

Rich Adamson wrote:

This is ifconfig on openbsd box:
fxp0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500

I think this output shows that the fxp0 interface is on simplex mode.

The voice degradation I referred was by using xlite soft phone. I open 2 line similtaneously and dial to FWD and back to my incoming extension. Xlite is runnning on a w2k box with realtek 100M nic in auto mode. I can bearly hear the welcome message.

In many years of doing professional network performance assessments, you found the problem Houston. Statically define all interfaces (including the switch, hope you're not useing a hub) to 10/100 full, and at least part of the problem, if not all, will disappear. :)