On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 1:41 PM, Alejandro Cabrera Obed
<aco1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear all, I have an Asterisk SIP server in a LAN environment and I want your
> opinion in order to decide the use of an audio codec:
>
> What audio codec is better, G.711a or G.711u ??? Which suites to my LAN voip
> calls ???

As others have stated, use whatever matches your country. In terms of
the network, the traffic is exactly the same for both a-law and u-law.
Both are 8khz sampled 8 bits per sample PCM (64kbps). The only
difference between the two is the companding
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Companding) algorithm that's used for
the audio emphasis. To the network, the packets are 100% identical.

Andrew