Hi all,

i have a beginners question. How are SIP calls and IAX2 calls processed by
Asterisk over the network?
What i mean is, is there a permanent connection required between the Asterisk
Server and the clients or is the Asterisk Server only involved for lets call it
the "routing"?

>From my understanding SIP s used to "find" the "way" to the remote party and
>the voice is transferred over RTP directly from client to client without
>permanently involving the Server.
IAX seems to do all in one, the "routing" and the transport of the voice.

Is that correct?

Why i am asking this?

Lets say i have one Asterisk running in London and another one in Paris. Both
are connected via IAX2 trunk over a WAN connection.
User A is registered on the server in London.
User B is registered on the server in Paris.
Now User A is visiting User B in Paris and both have call with each other.
Is the voice data routed from user A to Asterisk in London and then back via
IAX2 to the server in Paris and the to user B?
Or is there a direct connection between them and no WAN traffic is produced?
And is there a difference between using either SIP or IAX as client protocol in
that case?

I hope i explained well what i meant.

Thanks in advance for answers.