Hi Stephen,

That's what people do when building precompiled packages for certain
distros (along with a few more things).

I use to do the following when building packages (with a few more options):

./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc
make
make install DESTDIR=/my/destination/directory

That would create the complete installation structure under
'/my/destination/directory'

Regards,

--
Jose P. Espinal