(Putting everything back into the right order, and stripping out unnecessary
bits, for the sake of anybody searching the archives in future.)

On Friday 04 Feb 2011, Timothy Smith wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 5:37 PM, A J Stiles
> <asterisk_l...@earthshod.co.uk> wrote:
> > Try running
> > $ mpg123
> > with no arguments, and note the author's name which appears in the
> > output.
>
> Thank you for the pointers.
>
> I have checked my system, I seem to have the real mpg123. see below.
> [root@ivr2 en]# mpg123
> You made some mistake in program usage... let me briefly remind you:
>
> High Performance MPEG 1.0/2.0/2.5 Audio Player for Layers 1, 2 and 3
>         version 1.13.0; written and copyright by Michael Hipp and others
>         free software (LGPL/GPL) without any warranty but with best wishes

Hmm .....  That's the "real" mpg123 alright.

> [root@ivr2 en]# which mpg123
> /usr/local/bin/mpg123
> I also think I installed it using yum, however, i can still install a
> version from sources, just to be sure. Could you please give me the
> exact URLwhere I can download a version that works well with asterisk?

If it's in /usr/local/bin/ then it almost certainly was built from Source
Code.

Our working installation  (on Debian Lenny)  is Asterisk 1.6.2.9  (built from
source) with mpg123 version 1.4.3  (installed from a .deb).

More tests to try:

Can you listen to an mp3 file through the Asterisk server's own sound card
(if it has one; if not, use the -w option to write to a .wav file, and test
that by copying it to another machine which has a sound card),  by invoking
mpg123 from the command line?

Try
$ file $(which asterisk)
$ file /usr/local/bin/mpg123

and make sure both are compiled for the same architecture  ("ELF 64-bit LSB
executable" or "ELF 32-bit LSB executable").  If one is 32-bit and the other
is 64-bit, you *will* get problems.

--
AJS

Answers come *after* questions.