Perhaps this will help.

I have a SPA8800 which has 4 x FXS & 4 x FXO ports.

It took me some time to produce a working configuration.

In Asterisk I have the following where 904 is the extension of the fax-modem and itsp is you VoIP Service Provider.

sip.conf

 [general]
 .
 .
 faxdetect=no
 t38pt_udptl=yes,redundancy,maxdatagram=400
 .
 .

 [904]
 ; Cisco SPA8800 FXS Port 4
 ; Analogue FAX Modem attached
 type=friend
 defaultuser=904
 secret=<secret>
 call-limit=2
 qualify=yes
 canreinvite=no
 directmedia=no
 directrtpsetup=no
 ignoresdpversion=yes
 transport=udp,tcp
 host=dynamic
 context=<your_context>
 faxdetect=no

 .
 .
 [itsp]
 .
 .
 faxdetect=yes
 ignoresdpversion=yes
 .
 .

I am including information from my SPA8800 for one of the FXS ports I have a Fax Modem attached to, the key to getting it to work I believe is the "FAX Tone Detect Mode".

Audio Configuration

 Preferred Codec: G711a          Second Preferred Codec: Unspecified
 Third Preferred Codec: Unspecified    Use Pref Codec Only: no
 Silence Supp Enable: yes          Silence Threshold: medium
 G729a Enable: no              Echo Canc Enable: yes
 G723 Enable: no              Echo Canc Adapt Enable: yes
 G726-16 Enable: no              Echo Supp Enable: yes
 G726-24 Enable: no              FAX CED Detect Enable: yes
 G726-32 Enable: no              FAX CNG Detect Enable: yes
 G726-40 Enable: no              FAX Passthru Codec: G711a
 DTMF Process INFO: yes          FAX Codec Symmetric: yes
 DTMF Process AVT: yes          FAX Passthru Method: ReINVITE
 DTMF Tx Method: AVT              DTMF Tx Mode: Strict
 DTMF Tx Strict Hold Off Time:  40    FAX Process NSE: no
 Hook Flash Tx Method: None          FAX Disable ECAN: no
 Release Unused Codec: yes         FAX Enable T38: yes
 FAX T38 Redundancy: 1          FAX Tone Detect Mode: callee only
 Symmetric RTP: yes

Supplementary Service Settings

 CW Setting: no                Block CID Setting: no
 Block ANC Setting: no            DND Setting: no
 CID Setting: yes              CWCID Setting: yes
 Dist Ring Setting: yes            Secure Call Setting: no
 Message Waiting: no            Accept Media Loopback Request: automatic
 Media Loopback Mode: source        Media Loopback Type: media

Larry.