We're a VoIP provider essentially competing with our local incumbent Telco, and a sizeable number of our customers use satellite internet. As a result, these customers never have ping times less than 500ms, and are often exceeding 2500ms.

I manually apply a "patch" to the Asterisk source code every time we upgrade Asterisk, described here: http://www.mail-archive.com/asterisk-users@lists.digium.com/msg178034.html This change allows our satellite customers to maintain their SIP connection for more than 5 minutes. But we're currently using Asterisk 1.6.2.17, and this version seems to have one very strange bug on these high latency connections. On outgoing and *only* outgoing calls, the call drops after two or three minutes. Incoming calls do not have this problem, so I don't think it's the SIP connection getting killed due to a slow INVITE response.

Has anyone heard of this bug? Or should I submit a new bug report to the Asterisk project?

This message was sent using Lightspeed.ca's Advanced Webmail.