--- On Wed, 2/8/12, Jason W. Parks <jason.w.pa...@gmail.com> wrote:

>  From everything I've researched to
> date, my understanding is most
> locations have chosen to double their port density and
> continue to
> service the phone and computer on separate ports than to
> share a single
> line for both computer and phone. Reason primarily mentioned
> being
> troubleshooting concerns. If this is the case, the second
> port is not
> required, and become nothing but another gimmick to sell to
> you.
>
> Is this everyone else's experience as well?

Well, at some locations, for technical and mostly political reasons, doubling
port density so that the computer connects to a separate port is too costly,
way over what a 60$ hardphone can cost (eg. Grandstream GXP285). I'd be glad to
pay just "a tad more" for hundreds of "basic" hardphones, just as long as they
can do gigabit.

Vieri