On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 8:12 AM, Patrick Lists <
asterisk-l...@puzzled.xs4all.nl> wrote:

>> Is this everyone else's experience as well?
>>

> No the opposite. I have never heard of troubleshooting problems when using
> the switch on the phone. Maybe cheap crappy phones give you problems but I
> have never seen it with Polycom, Aastra, Snom or Cisco.
> Also you would need to have a second LAN port at each desk. I have come
> across only 2 places where that was the case and that's only because they
> had downsized freeing up LAN ports formerly belonging to the other desks in
> the room.

We primarily serve businesses with 5-60 phones.  We've found an even mix of:

Have two drops already (sometimes one is "phone" but is Cat 5 or better)
Have a single but willing/happy to add a second
Want to use a single with the phone's switch

I can only recall one customer who truly needed to have GB to the desktop.
 This company is running huge construction plan drawings all over the
network and there's a clear measurable improvement with GB.  They ran
additional drops for the phones.

A few others said they have GB to the desktop, so we told them to nail down
a few connections to 100m and then survey the users.  None of them could
tell the difference, as they were just using everyday office applications
where this doesn't matter.

--
Carlos Alvarez
TelEvolve