On 2012-02-28 23:29:53 +0000, Steve Totaro said:

They said the same thing in 2005, 2008, now.... Every release.

You never answered the question as to why you don't want to use SIP. Is there a reason, or do you just want to torture yourself?

Probably self-torture, yes. I want to at least try to use IAX2 because I can - learn more about Asterisk for the experience, etc. Now that I've found problems, I want to know if it's a problem with my configuration, or if it was my ISP, or perhaps my provider.

I have no problem at all with SIP. It seems to be the direction everybody is going - including Digium:

From the Asterisk 10 "Codecs and Audio Formats" page:

"Note that the additional codecs discussed here are available for use in Asterisk's SIP channel driver, only. Asterisk 10 does not make them available for IAX2, MGCP, SSCP, H.323, UniSTIM, etc."

Digium's fax driver doesn't work with IAX2... even in ulaw passthrough mode.

So if I can find that yes, it's so much a problem with my configuration but a bug in the software, then I'll be satisfied & switch to what works (ie. SIP).
--
Troy Telford