On 02/29/2012 08:22 AM, Alejandro Imass wrote:

We use the HT-286, the server is on a public IP the nat setting on
asterisk is set to yes and without port re-direction the ATAs have
never connected from a private network, so I honestly find this "SIP
plug and play" very hard to believe. But if it is true, then maybe you
can actually help us figure out all the NAT issues we've had with SIP
for the past 5 years. Perhaps, it is simply ignorance on our side and
we have something fundamentally wrong in our set-up somewhere that may
be have been causing these issues with NAT.

The number of 'plain' SIP endpoints deployed behind consumer-grade NAT devices talking to Asterisk servers on public IP addresses is in the millions, if not the tens of millions. As has already been posted, Asterisk itself handles all the far-end NAT traversal duties necessary for this to work; neither the remote endpoint nor the NAT device need to do anything special, nor do they require any configuration.

Rather than post a lengthy exposition on how widespread your network is and how technically astute your people are, you would probably accomplish much more to setup a simple test scenario as has been previously suggested, and if it does not work for you, post the details of the scenario and the failure here.

--
Kevin P. Fleming
Jabber: kflem...@digium.com | SIP: kpflem...@digium.com | Skype: kpfleming